Saturday, 5 July 2014

BritMums Live - Better late than Never

This is my BritMums Live post, yay!! Come on....it's ONLY two weeks plus after the event itself, and TWO weeks plus after everyone else has published theirs lol.
What can I say? Late? I am! Un-organised? I am! But mostly I've just been busy, living my life undocumented with my cubs :)

I digress, BritMums!
Where shall I start???  It was fan-flipping-tastic! I was in awe by all the lights, the action, the hustle & bustle and the sea of bloggers eagerly awaiting the evenings events. 
I wasn't sure I would enjoy myself after mmming and ahhhing about going.
The reason I booked a ticket in the first place was due to my sister who had roped me in early last year  As usual I didn't give it much thought, I just booked. My only thoughts were a weekend away from being mum, a fun-filled city break from normality.

As the date for the 2-day conference crept up, I went into panic mode. Over thinking what other bloggers thought about my baby, my unorganised blog which is in no where near the picture I want it to be.
It is however a true reflection of me, the way I think and feel. The sometimes scatty, emotional and honest me. The me that doesn't use big words, partially because I don't understand them, plain old me who writes how I speak and although it's purposely done is not to everyone's taste. Oh and of course on top of that I had not published a post in forever. All the things I worried would make me an outsider to the rest of the blogging world.

The blogs I read are Gawjus to look at, extremely well written and updated often. All the things a blog should be. These writers are beautiful story tellers, craftsman, connoisseurs and chefs and I don't seem to fit into any of these categories, hence my worry.
Nethertheless on Friday the 20th of June I plodded onwards to Britmums live despite my fears, to offer companionship and support to my lil sis.

On arrival we were registered with warm smiles, given a name badge and as we were a little late ushered into Britmums#1 for our intro to the event.
This post is getting way too long and I have so much I wanna say, but I'm going to have to cut short and just give you a quick run down on my Britmums high and lows.

My highs:
  • Meeting the brands, who of course were so friendly, we had a good laugh together!
  • The Senegalese Tea lady - (who should get a promotion by the way!! Sorry she had to get a mention) made me giggle and her personality was friendly and one of warmth
  • Meeting one of the speakers Susie Burdekin who sat next to us on day 1 at the intro, she was extremely humble, friendly and a joy to chat with and her workshop was just what we needed in the form of motivation
  • The Bloggers Key note, which was extremely heart-felt and emotional
  • Great venue!
 
  • Last but not least Emily Beechers workshop on storytelling was brilliant and to top it off she gave us a sneek peek of her musical 'The Good Enough Mums Club' which was the highlight of my weekend.
My lows:
  • A few of the workshops I wanted to go to were in the same session
  • If I was nit-picking I would say the food wasn't really my cup of tea, I felt like I was snacking all day, and eating far too much sweet stuff. But like I said, I'm nit-picking!
  • A lot of bloggers were not very friendly, which by no means is a negative for Britmums, of course they can't be held responsible for the unapproachable and the clique's. Which if I'm honest was one of the reasons I wasn't looking forward to going to the event. One lovely lady I introduced myself to on the final day said she felt the same way. She had tried to introduce herself to a group of 3 ladies on day 1 and they were so icy she wasn't going to do it again, which is a complete shame.
  • I missed the keynote from Benjamin Dutton-Brooks, the author of Life As A Widower. This was due to having brekkie at the hotel(my feet just couldn't get back to 'The Brewery' as quickly as I wanted them to). On the plus side I got to meet him later and he signed my book :-)
I did meet a few good lovely people by the Grande finale.
My highs far out stretched the lows. So, all-in-all a big thumbs up for Britmums Live.
It was my first and hopefully not my last. I look forward to the prospect of being at next years event.