Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Ignorance is Bliss

I've often heard people say 'I wish I was a child again, life was so carefree', but me personally, I think life is the way it is for a reason. When I really consider the idea of it, even though youth has it ups, it also has some horrible experiences that go along with it.


For instance having to go through puberty again would just be AGONY! Like when your boobs start to grow (painful!!!), or the first time you get your monthly(and every 'bleedin' month after that, no pun intended!!!), not to mention FIRSTS! That uncomfortable first kiss, the first time you have sex, or first time you got your heart broken...into pieces!! We like to romanticize these things but really they are just plain friggin awful, maybe we can bring ourselves to laugh at a few of those things now, but it all sounds like a blooming nightmare now, doesn't it?

I would love to have the carefree aspect of youth, just like any other, the supple ache less bones, energy and never-ending gut that no matter how much cheese, cookie dough ice-cream or chocolate I consume, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to my teeny tiny waist!
But on the grand scale of things, to live through it again pfhhh PLEASE! Thanks but, NO THANKS!

I went through a lot of racism growing up, people don't really like to talk about it, kinda brush it under carpet through fear of being labelled as 'having a chip on their shoulder' or being told to get over it. Some of us like to just get on with it and not be reminded of bad times. I'm not talking about slavery, I'm just talking about my own little journey, but if the truth be told it does go that far back. 

I've told you guys before that I was born on the lushilicious Island of Barbados. Well, moving over to England at the precious age of just 4 was a bit of an adventure for me, I went from the hot to the cold, from seeing predominantly Black faces everywhere to White faces. The change in culture and food came as a surprise but a good one.
.
I took this all in my stride being the bold little Bajan I was, what wasn't so brilliant was the reception of some of the local people. I was called names I don't care to share, and treated as though I wasn't even a child, or that I was wrong and dirty.  The funny thing is I saw myself as British. I was born British as my dad was in the British army and The Royal Air Force which gave us automatic citizenship, my mum was a nurse and my dad even played cricket every Sunday, but we we're not British enough I guess.

Secondary School was a nightmare!! I went to school in Biggin Hill, Kent at a school called Charles Darwin. Yet again teased and taunted for being Black, but enough of that. Don't like to daunt on the past, but much of my past experiences have made me hate myself and my appearance at times.

I'd like to say the worlds a much better place, but in reality it isn't for any of us that picks up a paper, watches the news or are interested in worldly affairs, but in terms of racism in this country it is a much better place.

My kids don't really go through any of that rubbish racist stuff today, and are completely dumbfounded when they witness it in the slightest, or when I tell them what life was like for me as a child. We don't talk about it often and I am relieved my babies do not have to go through the hardships their dad or I had to go through.

Which is what brings me to my rant. I am utterly flabbergasted when I hear ridiculous people say things such as 'I think black women are ugly'. If you truly think that, keep your ignorant opinions to yourself. There are beautiful women in every race, just like they are less attractive people in every race. I think it thoughtless, and quite ignorant to class a whole race as being ugly.